Sunday, December 27, 2009

Eulogy to 2009

2009 you were good to me like a long, yet eagerly anticipated trip with several layovers. 2009 you were good to me like an oasis in the desert. 2009 you had your ups and your downs. You had your failures and your triumphs. You brought me struggles and times during which I felt like I would explode with joy. You brought tearful rain and overcoming sunbeams. What I am trying to say, 2009, is that God used you in my life to show His faithfulness and to build my faith.


"Your [God's] promises have been thoroughly tested, and Your servant loves them" (Ps. 119:140, NIV). 2009 you thoroughly tested God's promises.


When I was broken, He healed me. When I was lonely, He comforted me. When I was restless, He calmed me. When I rejoiced, He celebrated with me. When I was angry, He gave me clarity and grace. When I was confused and scared; He gave me direction, faith, and strength. When I was anxious, He gave me peace. When I was overwhelmed, He was there. When everything seemed to shift, He was faithful.


There is a song by Kim Walker, directed to God, that says it well:

I asked You for life, and You sent Your Son to die for me
I asked You for hope, You came in the night and gave me a dream
I asked You for freedom, You broke every chain and gave me the key
I asked You for love never ending, and every day You surround me
And now my faith in You is a mountain that can't be shaken
Now my strength is found in You, it is joy that can't be taken

2009, God's faithfulness is not the only thing you affirmed to me. You also showed me the strength in my family. You brought joy and difficulty for all of us. However, you revealed the faithfulness and resilience within our family.

2009 you were good to me. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Great writing and oh so true. Glad you finally remembered you pass word...would you like to email it to me for safe keeping?

    ReplyDelete