Monday, September 7, 2009

Changes

Summer is quickly running down. I'm not sure whether I'm excited about this or not. Since I have no choice in the passing of time, I plan to be excited lol. It seems like such a long summer in that SO much has happened. Yet it also seems like such a fast summer. I've enjoyed the rest. But soon it will be time to put the old "nose back the grindstone"...lol I am excited...but there's that lazy side of me that knows I'm not going to get to be lazy much longer....lol

So anyways...Fall is coming! The most beautiful and amazing season of the year! As a child, I always had a strange fondness for Halloween even though we never really celebrated it. (When we were kids, the siblings and I would have a "God party" on Halloween.lol good times.)I think it was because it was a part of Fall and because it kinda kicks off the holiday season in a way....lol.Fall is a season of change. It's the season were the crops are ready to harvest. It is also the season in which everything starts to "die." But if everything didn't "die," there couldn't be new growth in the Spring time. That'll preach folks. lol
So changes...yes. I had a rather ironic thought the other night. (I tend to have these deep ironic thoughts while sweeping the floor at work...lol) So we are constantly changing all of our lives...it never stops... even if its only physically, we are all changing right now. It's like we are stuck in perpetual puberty! Now how sick is that?! Anyways...on a more inspirational mindset...
I've been thinking about change as my life seems to be constantly in motion somewhere. In the past I've asked God countless times, "Why did You give me a personality that resists change but a life that is constantly changing?" Oy vey! Growing up, we were moving or having another addition or both every couple of years (not that the later ever really upset...I love babies and siblings.) I watched my parents go through some major life changes several times. When Dad went active duty, I found myself in an environment of change. Every year a third of the chapel, my Sunday school class, my youth group, my friends changed. Good stuff. I've been a part of four youth pastors just starting out in a youth group. I've been a part of two churches that were building new buildings and moving. During my time at SMC, we had a Director hand-off. Now that I'm here, I find that major changes are happening at my college as well. Do you see what I mean? My life just doesn't settle. I'm stuck in "perpetual puberty." lol.

It seems to me that in 2009 I have finally come to a point where I'm just going with the flow. Roll with the punches. Change doesn't bother me as much anymore. I'm thinking this is a good thing as I don't see it stopping anytime soon. lol In the prayer group I have been in, we have been talking a lot about change and transition. I can definitely see and feel it. For myself. For my family. For my friends. For my college. For my church. For the church. For my country. For the nations. Things are changing, shifting, transitioning, and falling into place. Even our president's motto is change!
The first night I went to girls' prayer, Lynn shared a good analogy: transition is like being at a traffic intersection. There's a change happening. You have to be alert to not miss your turn or what the traffic signs/lights are saying or what the other drivers are doing. However, it's while sitting at a stop light that we can become the most distracted...just waiting there. She applied this spiritually in that we have to stay alert during a transition so that we don't miss it or get "taken out." I found the timing of the analogy ironic as my mom had been giving me a hard time all summer about actually stopping at stop signs even when you are in a residential area and can see that no one is coming. Yes, I have been making a conscience effort to stop at every single stop sign. (Let your heart not be troubled Mom.lol:) I guess its a good reminder that we need to submit to God's authority in our lives just as we should submit to the authority of traffic laws even if we think we can get away with it. Oh! This could preach. lol.
Transitions, transitions, transitions. Yeah, that seems to be the word for me this year (or maybe for my life.; ) It began in April 2008 when I talked with P Josh about doing a fourth year with SMC. He said he'd love to have me back but that this would be my last year. Thus I knew I was in for some major life changes. Since then, I've walked out of one chapter in my life and into another. Just in 2009; I got accepted to Bible college, moved twice, worked two part time jobs (SMC and Spokandy), was involved in my Spokane church's new building, was laid off at Spokandy, finished my season with SMC, graduated INSTE, sent my family off to a foreign country, found another job in OR (Taco Bell), have a new church in OR, and I'm making new friends and getting involved in new ministries. Woo-hoo...and there's still three more months to go. It's a good thing God has brought me to a place of a gentle and quiet spirit, or I'd be a basket case (my temperament likes routine and predictability. lol.)
Last night, I got a good reminder. I was sitting at the cross on campus. Admiring the awesome view. (oh my word! It was spectacular! It was raining, but the sun was shining. There was a wonderful combination of clouds and blue sky along with the hint of varying hues displayed on the leaves of the trees.) There was a beautiful transparent rainbow. Too bad I didn't have a camera on me. I was just pondering and enjoying. I was reminded that God's promises are good and He works good in my life. He is orchestrating a masterpiece in my life. I need to just have a gentle and quiet spirit. When I turned to leave, I saw that my little rainbow was actually a FULL rainbow! I was floored. It just reminded me that I can only see a part but God sees the full picture. I was so impressed by the little I could see but behind was A LOT more. Wow! My heart begins to flutter even now at the thought of the goodness of God and His plans.
Folks, there's a lot happening right now. History is being made. But it's all good. God's in charge. Just keep in step with Him and it'll all be gravy baby.
Here's some photos of the physical changes happening around campus.
The main admin building is getting a make-over:
The "new" Library:
The student center is becoming the bookstore:
It's still in progress. This is the backside...lol
Signs that the girls' dorm is in line for a make-over

They have been working hard in the Cafeteria
A sign that Fall is coming/here...I'm wearing my boats...and the sawdust can't get me. moo-haha! I win.
BTW Bailey Hill is done and it is BEAUTIFUL!
Even as I wrote this, my plans for my evening changed...work called me in. lol. so ttfn

1 comment:

  1. I love fall to!

    I love being able to read what I'm feeling...about having a lot of change all at once. You really have had one long year!

    ReplyDelete